Saturday 25 January 2014

Italian Spaghetti Sauce

I have been making this sauce since I have been on my own, tweaking it as the years went by, to suit everyone’s taste. It is the easiest way to make pasta sauce and with no simmering mess on the stove-top. I am often asked for this recipe, but had never taken the time to write it down. So one day I got my daughter to jot down all the ingredients as I was making this sauce. I use the Unico brand pasta sauce as that is my preference, but go ahead and use your favourite sauce. So, here it is now. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. This sauce freezes very well. 

Serves 12 to 15


INGREDIENTS
2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
3 Onions, chopped
5 Cloves Garlic, chopped
2 cups fresh Mushrooms, sliced
1 Green Pepper, diced
3 Stalks Celery, diced
1 -28 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
4 -680 ml Cans Great Value Tomato Sauce
2 Bay Leaves
1 tablespoon Oregano
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon Onion salt
1 teaspoon Basil
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon Marjoram
1 teaspoon Celery Salt
salt, to taste
pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Season the meat with salt and pepper and brown with 2 of the 3 onions and garlic cloves in large Dutch oven
Drain fat; add remaining ingredients to pot and mix well.
Cover and place in 350 degree oven for 2 hours.
Give the sauce a good stir, cover, lower heat to 275 degrees and cook for another 2 hours.
Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you tried this recipe?? Tell us how it turned out :)