Sunday 22 March 2015

Bea's Spicy Tilapia Fillets

These spicy fish fillets are great with a side of fries or rice. I often serve these on a bun as a fish burger topped with my Tartar Sauce with Attitude. Either way you serve these, they are sure to please the spicy food lovers.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pound tilapia fillets, sliced down the middle lengthwise
1/2 cup hot pickled pepper juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided 
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons celery salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Vegetable oil, enough to completely cover bottom of skillet

DIRECTIONS
Mix together the hot pickled pepper juice, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and garlic cloves in a large re-sealable freezer bag.
Add the fish and swish to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours turning after one hour.
In another plastic bag, toss together the remaining ingredients, except for the vegetable oil.
Remove the marinated fish pieces and toss in the flour mixture to coat.
Heat the oil over medium-high heat and cook the coated fish pieces until cooked through, the time will vary depending on thickness of fish pieces, they will flake easily when poked with a fork.
Serve.



*Please keep in mind that not all dried herbs and spices are gluten free so check the labels to make sure the brand you are using is gluten free. The same applies for prepackaged store-bought items, check the labels to be sure. If in doubt, call the toll free number on packaging to be safe and to make your cooking/eating experience is truly gluten free. 



9 comments:

  1. This was delicious...I of course made the Tartar Sauce with Attitude...that stuff is a kicker...it went so well with the spicy fish...I made the sandwich version...and served it with some oven potato wedges...yum...I toasted the bun...laid some lettuce on it ...flapped on the fish and drizzled the tartar sauce over it all...made for FYC tag game...TeresaS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to see you enjoyed this recipe. Thx for taking the time to comment, much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  2. Delicious! We loved this and I agree it would make a terrific sandwich. I already have it on my list to make the recipe again that way. The spicy flavor is a knockout. It adds such a perk of flavor to mild tilapia. I served with bengali potatoes and a green salad. Susie D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed this recipe. Thx for taking the time to comment, it is greatly appreciated.

      Bea :-)

      Delete
  3. I loved this! I just made the fish, but I will definitely try the sandwich version with tartar sauce in the future. Loved the flavor the pepper juice gave the fish and the breading was perfect. I did add a bit more cayenne because I enjoy things a bit spicier than most. Going into my Best of book because it is so easy to make and delicious! Made for FYC tag game. Thanks for sharing! breezermom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you tried this, it is a favorite here :) Thx

      Delete
  4. Total yum! I enjoy fish often and this will surely be making repeat appearances. I like things well seasoned and this was perfect for me. It had some pleasant at a pleasant level. An excellent meal served with a green salad and charoset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, it's a favorite here. Thx for trying it!

      Delete
  5. P.S. above comment was made by Annacia.

    ReplyDelete

Have you tried this recipe?? Tell us how it turned out :)